Friday, April 20, 2007

VA Tech

After the tragedy this past Monday at Virginia Tech, it's hard to know what to say. We have spent much time in prayer and reflection, struggling to deal with it all our selves, as well as help those around us. One of my first reactions on Monday was to just hold my baby tight. I just wanted to hold her all day long, thinking that if I continued to do so, I could protect her from such things in this world. I wanted to shield her eyes from the images on the news, and close her ears to the reports on the radio. It's sad to me that I cannot protect her forever, and also a step of faith to trust that GOD has her in His hands. He loves her far more than I ever could (even though that seems impossible, I know it's true), and we can entrust her to His care.

At the after-school program, we had an impromtu Bible study with the middle schoolers to help them work through it all as well. The study was mostly focused on helping the kids to process and point them to the Lord, countering what they are hearing from the media and other people with what God's Word says. Some of them had some interesting things to say, so I thought I'd include a few of their quotes. (They are direct quotes, so I did not edit their spelling or grammar.)

"[God's Word is] saying that he will always be hear holding your right hand and helping you. His love will last forever. That if you think of anything that is excellent or praisworthy and peace will be with you. Do not fear for he is there." -Stormy

"God has a reason for everything. It doesn't make sense. He is good. His love last forever. We love him because he has heard our voice and supplications." -Chris

"What can I do but prey." -Umar

No comments: