Monday, November 02, 2009

Serving

We were all supposed to be out of town for Halloween, at the UVA game. However, Kathryn's body had other plans, as she's been sick since Wednesday evening. (No, we're not sure what she has. Maybe flu, maybe a virus? We haven't taken her to the doctor, because we were trying to avoid going. She hasn't been too sick...a pretty high temp and a cough, but that's it.) Anyway, since she was sick, her and I stayed home together. I realized sometime that afternoon that I hadn't gotten any Halloween candy because, well, we weren't planning on being home. So, being the good mom that I am (and socially conscious), I loaded up my sicko and we went to the grocery store for some candy. (Maybe I went ahead and did my grocery shopping for the week while I was there too...) I wasn't expecting too many kids, but I was wrong! We had tons of kids come by! The best part of it all was watching Kathryn. She got dressed up in her one dress up outfit (kind of a fairy princess kind of get-up), put the candy in a bowl, and sat at the front door waiting for kids. Finally once they started coming in a steady stream, she set up a chair outside on the front porch and waited for them. It was so sweet to see her soooo excited to give candy to the kids. She never once asked to eat it herself (that story has since changed, as we have a few pieces of candy on our counter now). She simply delighted in being able to hand it out to others. It got to the point that whenever she saw a group of kids coming down the sidewalk, she's jump up and run out to them with the candy bowl. It was such a joy to watch her delight in giving. Pictures of our princess to come...

2 comments:

Cindy Perdue said...

I would have loved to see her giving out the candy to the other children. She is such a giving child anyway. I hope she is feeling better really so & please let me know if I can help in any way. Love & kisses to all.

Kristie said...

What an awesomely sweet Halloween story. Love it!!